THE TWO SECRETARIES
WE HAVE SEEN that with the post of Secretary there were at first
united several other places of profit. Thus from the secretariat
were taken the offices of Surveyor General (March, 1641/2),
Agent and Receiver General (August, 1651), Attorney General
(September, 1657), Commissary General (April, 1673), Naval
Officer (June, 1676), and Rent Roll Keeper (August, 1689).
After October, 1663, the Secretary was also notary public.
Until January, 1705/6, save for two brief intervals, the Secretary
lived in Maryland, and Lord Baltimore, when in England, kept a
private clerk. 1 After this date the office was divided between a
Principal Secretary, residing in England, and a Deputy Secretary
in Maryland. The deputy took all fees and perquisites, except
ordinary license fines, and paid his principal a salary. The prin-
cipal received this salary, the ordinary license fines (when he
could get them), and after 1751 the produce of certain saddles
upon the Governor and other high officials.
On Lord Baltimore's restoration in 1715 the Principal Secretary
succeeded to the duties of His Lordship's private clerk; and the
deputy, once more a proprietary officer, assumed in 1717 the
additional style of Judge of the Land Office. This title was how-
ever taken from him on the appointment of a separate Judge in
December, 1738. The deputy remained custodian of the Provin-
cial Court records, and he retained appointment of his own clerk
and of the clerks of the several counties. The last such officer,
Daniel Dulany the Younger, was sworn in on June 22, 1761.
His office was omitted from the Constitution of 1776. Dulany
himself, a loyalist, was in 1781 presented for high treason, and his
estates were confiscated.
For ease and clarity we shall employ the terms " Secretary in
Maryland, " meaning the Secretary prior to 1705/6 and the Deputy
Secretary thereafter, and "Secretary in England, " meaning the
Principal Secretary, Let us now examine the revenues of these
1 The name of one of these clerks appears on documents of 1649 and 1649/50
(Archives, HI, 240, 252). See also note 26 below.